Flat at the Top

About Us Forums MacRae Way Community Flat at the Top

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dirtmaven
    Participant

Recently I have run my Open dog and my Pronovice dog on fields considerably larger than what we are used to. Despite their good job at taking redirects, both came in tight at the top resulting in a messy lift and an out of control fetch. I need to clean this up obviously. Is the best method to go back to smaller outruns, lengthening the outrun 10-15 yards at a time until its large enough. This will be challenging as the outruns at the trials ranged from 600 yards to 900 yards. Waaay bigger than my field is. Thanks.

Patricia
    Keymaster

Hello! super sorry for the delay, we have been traveling and I missed this, my sincere apologies, if the flatness is due to lack of exposure, get the shape correct smaller first, it really is the way, as sen in Developing the Outrun,

Developing the outrun

however, 600-900 yards is what I’d consider too far for a pro novice dog. You mention your open dog and 2 videos that may help accelerate developing correctness at the top (if your dog is tight) include:

A Cone Exercise for Widening the Outrun,

Cone Exercise for Widening the outrun

and the above exercise doesn’t apply, we show another method in our Course, The Outrun,

MacRae Way – The Outrun

Please be in touch if you need anything else and hope that helps!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Patricia.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Patricia.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.