Reply To: Dogs crossing over on outrun in new field and longer distance.

About Us Forums MacRae Way Community Dogs crossing over on outrun in new field and longer distance. Reply To: Dogs crossing over on outrun in new field and longer distance.

Patricia
Keymaster

Good morning! If I understood correctly, you’re using geography that requires a bend by design and reinforcing with a whistle, in essence trying to teach by association? It’s too difficult to comment on it without seeing it (otherwise it’s my interpretation of your interpretation of what’s happening, too much room for error) but I think it unlikely that association training would transfer to a trial or other setting when you dog is excited, determined or when he’s quite certain of the path he should should take to the sheep. I think you’d have much more success teaching with an intuitive system that demonstrates why it makes sense for your dog to change trajectory.. With regard to whistle, we elongate our flank whistles so while that wasn’t my regular come bye, it’s absolutely a version of it, extending the first note so that Jim knew it was a bend. I hope that helps and again, Teaching Bends is def. on the list of videos to make. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!